Writing has come with things that I wasn’t ready for. I’m not published, but I have one book done another getting closer.
The biggest challenge is the amount of detractors. People who I thought would be supportive of me or that I believed cared about me, but when I told them I was a writer. Boy, you should have seen how they changed.
My twenty things people will say to make you feel bad for chasing your dream.
1. You’re not smart enough to do that.
2. You can’t do that (simple, but effective).
3. No one wants to see your art, writing, photographs, performance.
4. You are not my child. (this is one I’ve heard)
5. You don’t actually believe you can do this, do you?
6. You’re not gay are you? (Hear this one too).
7. Do you hate me?
8. You’re not going to write, paint or do things about me are you?
9. Does your mom know?
10. Who do you think you are? Thinking you can do something like that.
11. What do you know about books, art, painting, writing, photography, acting, cameras.
12. Just because (……) did it doesn’t mean you can. (Yes, this was said to me).
13. Do you want to be a bum?
14. Are you going to abandon your wife and kids to chase your dream?
15. Who the hell do you think you are?
16. I’m a better artist than you are.
17. Just because you have a blog doesn’t mean you’re a writer.
18. Nobody cares what you have to say.
19. Do you think anyone is going to support you.
20. You think you’re special, don’t you?
This isn’t a top 20, just the one’s I’ve heard or know someone who has heard them.